Pakistan Institute of Development Economics is organizing Webinar on “The Survival of Cinema and Television Industry in Pakistan” on November 9, 2020.
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/DBvj5GzMGDd1TWnf9
Date: Tuesday, November 09, 2020 at 7:00 PM (PST)
For the first time in the history of world cinema, box-office takings have gone down drastically since the outbreak of the pandemic, television production of dramas has ground to a halt, and other creative industries such as sports, media, art, tourism and hospitality are also adversely affected.
There is much talk and many discussions on this issue but a more detailed, contextual and policy-oriented debate is needed for countries in South Asia and in Pakistan, such industries provide livelihoods to thousands and contribute to the country’s national income.
For this reason, PIDE intends to conduct a webinar where various representatives from creative industries will speak on:
1. How the pandemic has affected the Cinema/TV industry globally.
2. How the pandemic has impacted on the cinema and television industry in Pakistan?
3. Whether online and Over the Top (OTT) platforms are an option for Pakistani media content especially films and television dramas.
4. How single- and multiplex cinemas have been impacted and what future holds for such cinematic avenues?
5. Are Pakistan’s creative industries ready to be digitalized?
6. In what ways cinema and the television industry contributes to the development and growth of the countrry’s economy, and how it has been impacted by the pandemic?
- Sarmad Sultan Khoosat, Filmmaker and TV Director
- Kanwal Khoosat, Film Producer and TV Director
- Pir Saad Ahsanuddin, CEO Cinepax
- Kamran Lashari, Pakistani Civil Servant
- Mehreen Jabbar, Filmmaker
- Faris Kermani, Producer/Director
Moderator: Dr Nadeem ul Haque, VC, PIDE.